Tuesday, September 3, 2013

None Of My Teen Friends Use Facebook

Facebook logo image
Here's part of a guest commentary post on Mashable by Ruby Carp, a 13 year old from New York City who points out the various reasons why neither she nor her peers use Facebook.

This ultimately could be a problem for Facebook in that they need the next generation user in order to sustain, but those users are looking elsewhere for their social interaction. As you'll see, if you're trying to reach this demographic, Facebook isn't the way to do it.
"I’m a teen living in New York. All of my friends have social network— InstagramVineSnapchat, etc. Facebook used to be all I could talk about when I was younger. “Mom, I want a Facebook!” and other whining only a mother could put up with. But now, at 13, I’ve been noticing something different. Facebook is losing teens lately, and I think I know why. 
Part of the reason Facebook is losing my generation's attention is the fact that there are other networks now. When I was 10, I wasn’t old enough to have a Facebook. But a magical thing called Instagram had just come out ... and our parents had no idea there was an age limit. Rapidly, all my friends got Instagrams. 
Now, when we are old enough to get Facebook, we don’t want it. By the time we could have Facebooks, we were already obsessed with Instagram. Facebook was just this thing all our parents seemed to have.  
This leads me into my next point: Although I do have a Facebook, none of my other friends do. My friends just thought it was a waste of time. I decided to get a Facebook just to see what it was all about. I soon discovered that Facebook is useless without friends. My only friend is, like, my grandma.  
Teens are followers. That’s just what we are. If all my friends are getting this cool new thing called Snapchat, I want it, too! We want what’s trending, and if Facebook isn’t “trending,” teens won’t care.  
All of our parents and parents' friends have Facebooks. It’s not just the fact that I occasionally get wall posts like, “Hello sweetie pie!” But my friends post photos that get me in trouble with those parents.  
Let's say I get invited to a party, and there’s underage drinking. I’m not drinking, but someone pulls out a camera. Even if I’m not carrying a red Solo cup, I could be photographed behind a girl doing shots. Later that week, the dumb-dumb decides to post photos from that “amazing” party. If my mom saw I was at a party with drinking, even if I wasn't participating, I’d be dead. This isn’t Facebook’s fault, but it happens there.  
Facebook is also a big source of bullying in middle school. Kids might comment something mean on a photo of you, or message you mean things. This isn’t Facebook's fault, but again, it does happen there. If my mom heard I was getting bullied on Facebook, she would tell me to quit right away.  
It also became a huge marketing mouthpiece. Facebook takes your interests based on what you’ve "liked" and put ads on your feed. No offense, but when I’m looking through my News Feed I don’t really care about Pantene’s new product. 
It wasn’t the Facebook it was when I was seven. It got complicated — it was just kind of like, "We liked it the way it was. Why are you changing it?"  
Is this an isolated case? Are your kids on Facebook? Read the entire post on Mashable.
----------------------------------

Follow me on Forbes for some insights on the new music business.

You should follow me on Twitter for daily news and updates on production and the music business.

Check out my Big Picture blog for discussion on common music, engineering and production tips and tricks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't believe for single moment that a 13 year old wrote that article. I have also see stats that show there are millions of active teens using Facebook.

here's a rebuttle by another make believe teen (this one 15 years old)

http://mashable.com/2013/08/13/teens-facebook-response/

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...