Sunday, August 14, 2011

Major Label Costs To Break An Artist

Here's an infographic by the International Federation Of The Phonograph Industry and brought to my attention by Digital Music News, which is the world-wide trade group for record labels. Keep in mind a number of things when you read it:

1) We're talking about a major label making this kind of investment.

2) Although for a new artist this was somewhat common even 10 years ago, an expenditure like this is more the exception than the rule.

3) If I were artist X or artist Y, I'd probably say, give me a small fund and a higher royalty rate, and let me pay for as much as I can myself, including promotion. There's a lot of money going to waste.

4) This is why the major labels are in the state they're in today.

Label investment image from Bobby Owsinski's Music 3.0 blog
----------------------------------
You should follow me on Twitter for daily news and updates on production and the music business.

Check out my Big Picture blog for daily discussion of music, recording, and production tips and tricks.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...