- 92% of consumers trust word-of-mouth recommendations from friends and family above all else. This is up 18% from the last survey in 2007.
- Online consumer reviews were the 2nd most trusted form of advertising at 70%, which was an increase of 15% in the last 4 years.
- 47% of people say they trusted television, magazine and newspaper adverts, which were all down approximately 20% from the previous survey. Interestingly enough, the majority of advertising dollars are still spent on these traditional marketing sectors.
- 58% of consumers trusted what's termed as "owned media," which are things like messages on a company's website.
- 50% found content found in emails credible.
- 42% said they trusted radio ads.
- Only 40% found product placement in television shows credible.
- 36% said they trusted online video ads.
- 33% said they trusted mobile video or banner adds while 29% said they trusted mobile text adverts.
The bottom line, when it comes to marketing of just about anything (including music), make social media a priority, since it's an effective yet inexpensive platform for getting the word out that consumers deem credible.
Help support this blog. Any purchases made through our Amazon links help support this website with no cost to you.You should follow me on Twitter for daily news and updates on production and the music business.
Check out my Big Picture blog for discussion on common music, engineering and production tips and tricks.