A few days ago, we posted The State of The Internet numbers that looked more at Internet users than anything else. Pingdom recently posted some amazing stats about "Internet 2009 In Numbers," that are more about the Internet itself. Here are some highlights.
- 1.73 billion Internet users worldwide as of Sept 2009; 18% increase in Internet users since previous year.
- 81.8 million .COM domain names at the end of 2009; 12.3 million .NET and 7.8 million .ORG
- 234 million websites as of Dec 2009; 47 million were added in 2009.
- 90 trillion emails were sent on the Internet in 2009. There are 1.4 billion email users worldwide.
- 26 million blogs on the Internet.
- 27.3 million tweets on Twitter per day as of Nov 2009.
- 350 million people on Facebook and 50% of them log in every day. There are more than 500,000 active Facebook applications.
- 4 billion photos hosted by Flickr as of Oct 2009. 2.5 billion photos are uploaded each month to Facebook.
- 1 billion videos served by YouTube each day, and 12.2 billion videos viewed per month. 924 million videos are viewed per month on Hulu in the US as of Nov 2009. The average Internet user in the US watches 182 online videos each month.
The Internet and its use continues to grow at breakneck speed. Let's see what the next year brings.