Thursday, May 19, 2011

Ways To Get People To Remember Your Band

There was a great post by Chris "Seth" Jackson on howtorunaband.com the other day and I thought I'd run a version of it. The original post was called "No One Will Remember Your Band: 10 Ways To Stop Being Forgettable," and most of the ways pointed out in the article were dead easy and don't cost much at all. Here are the ones I like.

1. Large Banner On Stage - Displaying your band’s logo prominently while you’re playing has to be the number one way for everyone to know who you are. At any point during your set, people will immediately see who you are.

2. Something Free For Everyone - Have something with your logo and website that you can give to everyone at that show. Stickers are always good for this, but it could also be EPs or a small piece of artwork. The point is to get your band’s name into everyone’s brain.

3. Large Logo On The Merch Booth - In addition to hocking your wares, your merch booth has a secondary role for branding. A well designed (and well lit) logo above your merch advertises your band’s name for the entire night. Even those that didn’t see your set will still see your band’s name.

4. Posters - Posters are just cool. I rarely see bands with posters. I sometimes grab fliers for a show and hang on my wall. A cool poster lives a long life well past your show.

5. Logo On The Kick Drum - Put your logo on the kick drum. In addition to a banner, the kick drum is usually visible during your entire set.

7. Beer Coasters - If you’re playing a bar, create some cool beer coasters and give them to the bar. Your band’s name will be underneath everyone’s drink all night long. Maybe all month long.

8. Matches - Everyone smoker forgets their lighter. Give ‘em a nifty band branded set of matches.

For the full list, go to "No One Will Remember Your Band: 10 Ways To Stop Being Forgettable."
-----------------------------------
Help support this blog. Any purchases made through our Amazon links help support this website with no cost to you.


You should follow me on Twitter for daily news and updates on production and the music business.


Check out my Big Picture blog for daily discussion of music, recording, and production tips and tricks.

3 comments:

Ivo Siemonsmeier said...

I get the feeling it doesn´t make any sense to concentrate on musical skills. Good enough will just do. For me the good enough attitude has made it very difficult to find good music as a listener.

What about the real music enthusiasts? I don´t care about stickers and posters, not even t-shirts and I hate it when the promo-to-content-ratio favors the promo more.

Imagine you are asked to stop playing your music, because "your fans" like to have a lighter a little bit earlier. People do strange things when they are drunk :)

Chris "Seth" Jackson said...

Thank you for sharing my post! I'm extremely flattered considering I'm about to download your books, and have used your books for mixing. I'm seriously at a loss for words!

Chris "Seth" Jackson said...

Hey, Ivo! I've seen great bands that have wonderful musical skills, and they caught my attention. However, I've forgotten who they are because they didn't simply promote the name of their band.

Promotion is core to being memorized when competing with hundreds of other bands,as well as dealing with constantly shrinking memory spans.

I'm a music enthusiast as well. And I try to go out of my way to find out who a band is and get their CD if I like them. But, their musical skill is critical to determine if I even want to pay attention to their name.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...