- Digital album sales were up 16.8 percent and single track purchases by 9.6 percent over last year.
- Catalog album sales are up 5.4 percent in 2011, which believe it or not is mainly attributed to the availability of The Beatles’ albums on iTunes for the first time.
- Vinyl sales were up by 37 percent in the beginning of 2011 over the same period last year.
- Album sales at independent record stores increased by 39 percent the week of Record Store Day (April 16) from the prior week – an increase of 180,000 units – and 12.7 percent compared to 2010.
- In a bit of a surprise, rock has returned as the most popular genre of music, with 32 percent album share, while pop music represents 40 percent of all current digital tracks sold.
- Ninety-three of the 100 best selling vinyl albums in 2011 fall within the Rock or Alternative genres.
Help support this blog. Any purchases made through our Amazon links help support this website with no cost to you.
You should follow me on Twitter for daily news and updates on production and the music business.
Check out my Big Picture blog for daily discussion of music, recording, and production tips and tricks.