As you can see, YouTube is a juggernaut for music, something that will be amply illustrated tomorrow with some additional graphics.
Now for some interesting stats:
* 31% of YouTube videos are music
* Lady Gaga videos were played 45 million times on Vevo in December 2010.
* Last year (2009) MySpace Music was in the same ballpark as Pandora. This year it didn't even make the chart.
* Although iTunes isn't on the chart because it's a sub-domain of Apple, it had a 60% growth last year and if on the chart, would be 40% as large as Pandora.
* Spotify, for all its hype, is way down at the bottom of the chart and actually decreased in visits by 6% last year.
* The most popular music magazine online is Rolling Stone with 2.2 million visits in December.
* The most popular music blog is Pitchfork.com with 1.4 million visits in December.
You should follow me on Twitter for daily news and updates on production and the music business.
Check out my Big Picture blog for discussion on common music, engineering and production tips and tricks.
Help support this blog. Any purchases made through our Amazon links help support this website with no cost to you.