Lazeretto had total sales of around 138,000 in the week ending June 15, but 40,000 of those where vinyl copies, which also garnered him a #1 on the vinyl chart as well. To put that into perspective, the CD sales were only 41,000 and the rest were attributed downloads.
But the 40,000 vinyl sales were significant in another way. They were the highest weekly sales since Soundscan began sales measurement in 1992.
One of the things that really helped the vinyl sales of Lazeretto is the extra features that White included to make the record unique, like:
- 2 hidden vinyl-only tracks beneath the label. One plays at 78 rpm and the other at 45 rpm.
- Side A plays from the outside in.
- Dual groove technology plays an electric or acoustic intro depending upon how the needle is dropped.
- The dead wax area on side A contains a hologram designed by Tristan Duke.
- Zero compression used.
- Different mixes from the CD version.
Help support this blog. Any purchases made through our Amazon links help support this website with no cost to you.