- Monthly online radio now reaches 39% of the American population, or about 103 million people. This is up 5% from last year.
- Listeners spend about 10 hours per week listening to online radio.
- The vast majority of online radio listeners (87%) also listen to over the air terrestrial radio.
- 22% of online radio listeners listened to Pandora, up from 16% last year.
- 17% have listened to online radio from their cell phone.
- When it comes to work, 68% still listen on a regular radio
- 45% of the population has watched videos on YouTube (only 45%?). This is up from 41% last year.
- People spend about 4 and a half minutes watching video per week (half of what they spend listening to radio).
- 88% of Americans own a cell phone. Half of them own a smartphone.
- Nearly 2/3rds of 18-34's own a smartphone.
- 60% own a portable digital media device, meaning an iPod, iPhone, iPad, MP3 player, tablet or Android smartphone. Two-thirds of them own an Apple device.
What that means for musicians is that you have to be extra vigilant with your mobile strategy, since if it's not critical to your marketing at the moment, that time is just around the corner.
Help support this blog. Any purchases made through our Amazon links help support this website with no cost to you.You should follow me on Twitter for daily news and updates on production and the music business.
Check out my Big Picture blog for discussion on common music, engineering and production tips and tricks.