Why the turnaround, you may be asking? For one thing, there were some actual blockbusters this year. First of all, Adele's 21 had sold 5,281,000 with two weeks of sales yet to be recorded. That means that her sales will be a lot closer to 6 million by the end of the year, considering the holiday buying season. million. But hold on; that doesn't include an additional 750,000 copies she sold this year of her last album, 19. Then consider that her single "Rolling in the Deep” has sold 5,665,000 downloads, followed by “Someone Like You” with 3,352,000, “Set Fire to the Rain” with 963,000, and “Rumour Has It” with 551,000. All in all, a banner year for any artist at any time.
There were other big sellers as well, but keep in mind that these numbers are a few weeks old.
- Adele, 21 - 4,817,000 copies sold
- Lady Gaga, Born This Way - 1,973,000
- Michale Buble, Christmas - 1,964,000
- Lil Wayne, Tha Carter IV - 1,776,000
- Jason Aldean, My Kinda Party - 1,389,000
- Mumford & Sons, Sigh No More - 1,328,000
- Jay-Z/Kanye West, Watch The Throne - 1,124,000
- Beyonce, 4 - 956,000
- Lady Antebellum, Own The Night - 908,000
- Katy Perry - Teenage Dream - 907,000