65% of adult internet users now participate in a social networking sites like Facebook or LinkedIn, but they spend a lot more time on doing other things as well. Pew Internet surveyed a number of people across all generations and came to a number of surprising conclusions:
1. Although article after article seems to state that email is dead, email is still the number one use across all generations.
2. Search is the #2 online activity, no surprise here.
3. This one is the real surprise. Health info is the third most popular activity.
4. Government websites ranked surprisingly high with everyone except the millenials.
5. Blogging and virtual worlds were surprisingly low.
Of course, this survey was from 2010. It will be interesting to see how much things have changed in 2011.