- 1.265 billion downloads were sold worth $2.38 billion. That's a lot of music.
- Ringtones (seen here as Mobile) were down by just about 28%, but worth $526 million, still a lot of money.
- There were almost 30% more subscribers to subscription music, but the revenue was down by almost 6%. Not a good sign.
- No surprise here, but CD sales were down by 23%, but that meant that there were still 226 million sold for a revenue total of $3.36 billion. That might not be as much as what was sold at the height of the business, but it's still a lot of music.
- Vinyl was up by 26%, but that only meant 4 million units for $87 million in income, a mere drop in the bucket.
- One excellent stat for musicians is that performance royalties were up by 60% to $249 million.
-----------------------------------Help support this blog. Any purchases made through our Amazon links help support this website with no cost to you.
You should follow me on Twitter for daily news and updates on production and the music business.
Check out my Big Picture blog for daily discussion of music, recording, and production tips and tricks.