- Rap star Kanye West has his own internet search engine (it's called Search With Kanye West).
- Aerosmith guitarist Joe Perry has his own line of "hot sauce".
- The R&B singer Usher teamed up with Mastercard to launch a range of credit cards.
- Justin Bieber has, curiously for a 16-year-old boy, his own line of nail polish called "One Less Lonely Girl".
- Madonna opened the Hard Candy Fitness centre in Mexico City, the first of what she hopes will be a worldwide chain of "first class" gyms.
- Lady Gaga has released her own range of Heartbeat headphones.
- Jennifer Lopez sold the first pictures of her twins Emme and Max to People magazine for a reported $6 million.
- Beyoncé is now focusing on her clothing ranges, House of Dereon and I Am Sasha Fierce.
- Jay-Z has non-musical business opportunities including the clothing label Rocawear and the New York nightclub 40/40.
- 50 Cent, Eminem and P Diddy all have their own clothing ranges, while P Diddy has also carved out an extra source of income for himself in promoting the vodka brand Cîroc.
- The popular Guitar Hero game now has Metallica and Aerosmith versions, while stars such as Ozzy Osbourne (who made himself into a product with a reality TV show about his home life) are playable characters.
- X-Factor winner Leona Lewis was signed up by the game Final Fantasy XIII, where she appeared in advertisements for the product and allowed one of her songs to be used in the game.
- Last year, pop star Katy Perry said: "I have a job, I know my responsibility and I'm always trying to take it to the next level ... most of these bitches just hawk breath mints or shoes. No offence to them, but maybe I'll hawk shoes later in life." She seemed to have forgotten all that, however, when she debuted her own perfume, Purr, last month.
Check out my Big Picture blog for discussion on common music, engineering and production tips and tricks.
Help support this blog. Any purchases made through our Amazon links help support this website with no cost to you.