MusicMachinery.com had a recent piece called "The Skip" that looked in depth at the current listening habits of Spotify users. Why Spotify? It has some of the best user data available, making it easy to extract some conclusions from billions of music plays. Here's what the post found:
- We're almost as likely to skip to another song as we are to listen to it.
24.14% skip within the first 5 seconds
28.97% skip within the first 10 seconds
35.05% skip within the first 30 seconds
48.6% skip before the song finishes!
- The average listener skipped 14.65 times per hour.
- Mobile users skip more - 51.1% versus 40.1% for desktop users.
- People skip more in the morning before they start work. The less they concentrate on the music, the less they skip.
- The skipping rate is higher on the weekends, when people have more spare time.
Help support this blog. Any purchases made through our Amazon links help support this website with no cost to you.