That said, there are 5 music videos that totally stand out from the crowd as the most expensive ever created. Surprisingly, all 5 are divided between only two artists - Michael Jackson and Madonna. Here they are in decreasing order in today's dollars adjusted for inflation.
5. "Black or White" - Michael Jackson - $6.9 million. 11 minutes long and premiered on all the music channels at the same time all over the world with an estimated audience of 500 million!
4. "Bedtime Story" - Madonna - $7.7 million. Surprisingly, this was not one of her bigger hits.
3. "Die Another Day" - Madonna - $7.9 million. The James Bond inspired video was the best selling dance song of 2002-2003 and nominated for a Grammy.
2. "Express Yourself" - Madonna - $9.4 million. The most expensive video ever made up until that time (1989).
1. "Scream" - Michael Jackson and Janet Jackson - $10.7 million. It won a Grammy and 64 million people watched when it debuted on ABC's Primetime Live show.
They don't make them like that anymore, and we should all be thankful.
Help support this blog. Any purchases made through our Amazon links help support this website with no cost to you.