|Shakira - #10 on the list|
Here's the Forbes list:
1. Britney Spears - $58 million, thanks to touring, endorsements and a new fragrance line.
2. Taylor Swift - $57 million, from $1 mil a show and endorsements from Covergirl and Sony.
3. Rhianna - $53 million, from touring and endorsements.
4. Lady Gaga - $52 million, from touring, fragrances and music sales.
5. Katy Perry - $45 million, from touring and music sales.
6. Beyonce - $40 million, and she was mostly inactive this year. Doesn't include her new $60 mil endorsement deal with Pepsi.
7. Adele - $35 million, from touring, sales and publishing from her 25 million album sales of 21.
8. Sade - $33 million, thanks almost exclusively to touring. Maybe the biggest surprise on the list.
9. Madonna - $30 million, endorsements, fragrances, shoe line and royalties.
10. Shakira - $20 million, endorsements, touring and fragrances.
As you can see, there's plenty of money to go around once you enter the superstar region of the business. The big problem is being able to get to that point, of course, and it never seems to get any easier. Each of the above is a fairly large business unto themselves and requires a commensurate infrastructure, so the star's ultimate bottom line is far lower than their income. There are a lot of 5 and 10 percent deductions along the way.
Help support this blog. Any purchases made through our Amazon links help support this website with no cost to you.
You should follow me on Twitter for daily news and updates on production and the music business.
Check out my Big Picture blog for discussion on common music, engineering and production tips and tricks.