"The team over at Launchpad6 has created a 3-step success formula that should help you come up with a great contest idea, offer the right prizes and choose the right promotional mix to help ensure your contest is a success.
1. The PremisePremise refers to the contest idea and is the most important part of a successful video contest. By asking yourself the following questions, you should be able to determine if your contest idea will be successful:
- Is content readily available or easily created?
- Is the content itself interesting?
- Is the content shareable?
- Is there enough passion for the idea?
- Is there an element of voyeurism involved?
- Are you harnessing group mentalities?
2. The PrizeWhile big cash prizes can bring your contest a lot of attention and help you gain reach, it is often more niche prizes that get better results as they appeal to your target market and drive sales. Here are some thoughts to ponder:
- Does the prize appeal to my target market?
- Is it unique and attractive?
- Is the prize valuable to my target market?
- How can I offer supplementary or bonus prizes?
3. The PromotionVideo Contests have a natural self-promotion mechanism as uploaders tell their friends vote on their video. However, it is essential to promote your contest and get as many initial entrants as possible. Consider these promotional ideas:
- Create a contest video and seed around the web
- List your contest in directory sites
- Utilize product packaging
- Harness your social channels
- Consider partnering with an industry publication