First of all, the most active Facebook users tend to be women. 19% of women update their status at least once a day, while only about 11% of men provide daily status updates.
Breakdown of Friend Relationships
The report also found some interesting info about friend relationships.
- 22% people from high school
- 12% extended family
- 10% coworkers
- 9% college friends
- 8% immediate family
- 7% people from voluntary groups
- 2% neighbors
- Only 3% of users’ Facebook friends have never met in person. While 89% of all Facebook friends have met in person more than once.
- Internet Users are more trusting of others than non-Internet users. Facebook users are over 3 times more likely than non-internet users to agree that “most people can be trusted.”
According to the report, Facebook users are not only active in posting, but in interacting as well. For instance:
- 22% of users comment on another’s post or status
- 26% of users “like” another user’s content
- 15% of users update their own status
- 20% of users comment on another user’s photos
- 44% of users in the 18-22 age range “like” content on a daily basis.
- Men are less likely to “like” Facebook content than women. 20% of women “like” content several times a day compared to just 9% of men.
That said, private messages are not frequently used. Only 38% of users claim to use Facebook’s private messages at once a week or more.
Facebook is truly a community, but you respond to your friends in your community differently than in real life, as the report shows. With that in mind, remember to be mindful of what you're posting and how you treat your online friends. They deserve the same respect as if they were in the room with you.
-----------------------------------Help support this blog. Any purchases made through our Amazon links help support this website with no cost to you.
You should follow me on Twitter for daily news and updates on production and the music business.
Check out my Big Picture blog for daily discussion of music, recording, and production tips and tricks.